Jun 23, 2010

Avantia in Estonia

Day 1
It really is an ugly building at first but still breathes a certain coziness and attentiveness. The walls are painted with a variety of patterns and stencil drawings.
Mr. Truely said from the airport already to be nervous for my reaction. When we got to the room he introduced a very dark dusty room my eyes and brains hardly got adjusted to until he joked that he was just kidding.

I am very happy with the largest room in the building! The small room is so in bad condition, that it's probably illegal to put anyone to sleep in there. The mold would do a number on the longs.
It is as if my room hasn't been cleaned ever, but the space! If you're from Amsterdam, everything is great.


And yes it's cold, like Mr. Truely had warned me. I was bummed with myself that I didn't take my long thick vest with me. But I like to travel light. So now I'm just unlucky.
But for everything a solution: I use a robe of the previous occupant. Thinner, but it does the work.
Everything is shaby but with character. I love these old retro furniture.



In order to feel at home I put my laptop on the desk and try to get internet connection which succeeds after several attempts. How internet infested are we nowadays ;)
We go to the supermarket and I do some shopping.
I forgot my wallet. Stupid. So back I go.
The people are very friendly and yes they stare at you, but people are not shy. Just friendly. I think they wonder why I find it so interesting to come there, of all places.
I have a list of countries I want to visit because they are interesting, and Estonia was not on it. Well, I just enjoy discovering unexpected locations. Just like in my art.
I return and cook and because the electronic pits are slow to heat, I sweep the studio. A daily therapy to relax myself if necessary, haha.
It's interesting but there are just people who never in their lives have cleaned a house. Only wash. Their bodies and teeth. And their hair. But nothing further.
So they live as woodlice under a layer of dirt.
But anyway: it is better that I cleaned it myself, i now know the status.
I move the desk next to the heater.
I put some extra cozy stuff in living room and dust off. I found a cool retro lamp. The plug is broken and I fix it. I put it in the socket and that is wrong. The electricity is gone. Stupidity No. 2 today. I'm afraid that not only the fuse is blown but the powersocket is just really broken. Fried.
I call and SMS mr Truely because the heaters now long work. Cold is not my friend.
Fortunately, there is a fuse box around the corner, a modern one. Shows that the water cooker is also a part of the problem.

When I go to sleep I make my bed, the loft bed. The sheets smell fresh and clean. I make a nest with all the pillows out there. The power is working again, the lamp above is in the shape of a heart and gives red light.
Cheesy, but I am glad it is not a fry-lamp.
I have my Bible on standby for tomorrow.
I watch a sitcom that always cracks me up and fall asleep happy.

No comments: